The Minister for Rural Development, launched a new skill development scheme called “Roshni” for rural youth from 24 most critical left-wing extremism (LWE) affected districts.
This initiative aims at skilling and placement of fifty thousand youth from these districts.
Key Features of Roshni
- It will cover 50,000 youth from 24 most critical left-wing extremist affected districts in three years.
- Beneficiaries aged between 18-35 years with requisite aptitude depending upon the trade or job requirements are to be selected as per the Participatory Identification of Poor (PIP).
- At least 50% of the candidates covered under the scheme shall be women. Special efforts will be made to proactively cover Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) on a priority basis.
- Training will be imparted through public- private and public-public partnerships.Educational institutions, corporate entities, entities that train and place for improved public service delivery, commercial and not for profit training providers will be roped in for implementing this scheme.
- Four training models with duration ranging from 3 months to 1 year shall be taken up to meet the diverse needs of youth depending on their entry level qualifications. Placement-linked, market driven fully residential skill training will be provided.
- The projects shall be funded jointly by the central and state governments in the ratio of 75:25.
- National level agencies shall be designated to act as monitoring and coordinating agencies for Roshni.